Sunday 21 April 2019

Celtic World - Hallstatt museum

 

I visited Austria back in Summer 2012, and, as a Celtic history enthusiast, one of my stops had to be Hallstatt, a lakeside town in Upper Austria known for its salt mines (dating back to prehistoric times). This town gave its name to the Hallstatt Culture, "the archaeological culture linked to Proto-Celtic and early Celtic people of the Early Iron Age in Europe, c.800–450 BC" (Source). Not only was the scenery of the mountain-encircled lake surrounding the town breathtaking (not to mention the gorgeous forests and the architecture) - The Hallstatt Museum had an amazing collection of items dating back to the Hallstatt Culture, and I had a blast visiting it. 

Hallstatt culture
So here's a pic spam of said museum - Enjoy! 
(click on pics of open in new tab for more resolution and larger pics)

  

  


The Museum: 

About the Hallstatt Culture (Open in new tab or click for larger text)
 Clothing reproductions:

Early La Tène sword from Hallstatt Grave


Iron Mindelheim sword
Decorated axe with horse ornament
  


Late Urnfield spiral pins and fibula


  


I got a reproduction of this horse at the shop :D


A Sword-woman posing with Celtic swords :) ^^
 As a birthday gift, I ended up getting two lovely reproductions at the shop - One Hallstatt horse and a boar -, as well as a beautiful copper Hallstatt Culture-style jewelry set. Sadly, I lost the ring back in 2014 at my uni, though :'(I have the remaining three things, though :) xD

No comments:

Post a Comment